Monday, April 8, 2013

A Bra-piphany

One morning as I was getting ready for work, I rummaged through my drawers to get dressed.  The first thing I was reaching for was my black bra.  Sadly, the bra had finally given out and the underwire had sprung free from it's sheath.  What was I to do?  I put on another bra instead and made a mental note to buy a new bra within the week.

I was not looking forward to bra shopping at all.  By some twist of fate, I am endowed with quite a sizable chest for an Asian female.  I have a really hard time finding comfortable bras because either the straps are too restricting or the cups don't fit right.  I usually have to take in an array of sizes with me into the fitting room and even then, I'll be lucky if I find even one comfortable.

Hit the jump if you would like to continue reading a lengthy post about bras.



The last time I went bra shopping, (6 months to a year ago), I thought I had found the answer to my bra needs.  I purchased a 36C bra at GapBody that I felt was comfortable.  I filed away this information so that I could take advantage of it in the future.  So obviously, this was one of the first places I headed to.  I selected the same bra and proceeded to try it on.
The fit was completely off.  Of course, I took into consideration that my old bra obviously stretched out in comparison, but the band felt too tight at the sides and the cups weren't containing my boobs properly.  I looked wider  on top than I was.  I decided to venture out and try on a 38C, 36D, and 38D.  Interestingly, the 36D felt the best but still somehow, not quite right.

I definitely felt that I needed some more guidance to find my actual size.  So my dear gal pal and I headed for a specialty store in the mall called Intimacy.  I wasn't quite sure where to start but my girlfriend got a bra fit stylist to come and help me.  She took me into the back fitting rooms which were very private and spacious.
The first thing she noted was that my band was up too high.  =O... I had been wearing bras incorrectly all along.  She pulled it down  to the appropriate spot and left the room to get me a bra to try on.  When she came back, she fitted the bra on me properly.
Side note:  I'm not weirded out with being nude in front of other women but it's usually in an Asian spa setting so I was a little thrown off at first to be baring it all.  xD
The moment the bra was snapped on, I heard the angels sing in my ears.  This was it!  This was the fit I was looking for and needed.

A few things about Intimacy:
-Caters to females with fuller busts.
-Sources their merchandise from European designers as there is a better market for such figures over there.
-Therefore, NOT cheap.

Anyway, so what was my size you ask?  Drumroll, please... I am a 34E.  =O.... A very daunting letter... but keep in mind, that an E cup doesn't mean I'm fat or a heifer.  It just means I have a higher bust to band ratio. It also explains why the D cup I tried on in GapBody felt better than the C cup.  As typical with the industry, sizing does vary between brands.  The stylist said that I could probably try 34DD in other places.
I also think my sizing may have changed because I had lost some weight since my last bra purchase.  So while the fat around my band area trimmed down, my bust didn't change much which could have contributed to the change in the ratio.
I have a feeling many women who are built similarly to me- busty with an average body type- are wearing ill-fitting bras because we can't imagine being any other cup size beyond a D.  The reality is that there's a stigma attached to letters beyond D and double letters.  We can't help but associate those cup sizes with much bigger women.  Clearly, that is not always the case.

So I ended up buying one bra that day from Intimacy.  It set me back $94.00.  Does it seem crazy to be spending that much money on a bra?  Yes... it does... However, this is what I justified:
-This bra will last me.  I kid you not... It is extremely well made.
-Honestly, this size will be a little tricky to work with and most likely will be on the expensive side where ever I go.
-I felt beautiful in this bra.  I have better posture, look slimmer on the sides, with perkier breasts. =)

What I may do after I get my next paycheck, is go to a more affordable place and try on some DD cups for some everyday bras.  I will definitely be going back to Intimacy for a strapless bra though.

Here's how you will know if your bra is not fitting you:
- A dead give away is how your bra's band looks in the back.  If it is shaped like an upside down U, then the bra is too big for you.  36 was too big for me so the band was riding up.
-The wire is digging into the side of your breast or your breast is spilling out underneath the wire.  Then the cup is too small for you.
-There is space between the top of your breast and the cups.  Then the cup is too big for you.

This is very, very wrong. 
Are you wondering why can't I loosen the straps so that the band runs straight?  Well, I tried that and the result was while I succeeded in getting the band to run straight across it resulted in the straps being way too loose on my shoulders so that they were slipping off.

Why is it so important for the bra to fit?
1. Incorrect fit can lead to chronic back pain and other aches.
2.  The wrong cup will cause your fat to distribute incorrectly.  You may give yourself more back and side fat than you should be having... permanently.
3. You could get permanent ditches in your body from a bra worn too tightly.
There are a number of other things but these are the biggest issues that come to mind.

Here's how your bra should fit:
1. For a new bra, always hook it on the first, loosest hook.  The band should fit comfortably enough for two fingers to slip around.  Over time the bra will stretch out and you can adjust to the smaller hooks gradually.  Buy a new bra when the last hook no longer gets the band to fit right.
2.  The band should run straight along your back where the ribs narrow.
3. The cups should lay against your breasts.  There should be no spillage anywhere.
4.  Straps should be adjusted so that two fingers can run under them easily.
5. If your straps, are supporting your breasts more than the band then you're wearing the wrong size.  Your breasts should be supported primarily by the band.

This is correct.  Excuse the back fat.  I do need to work out.  xD

Before:
See how there's a little fat being pushed out at the sides?

Here's the after:
A little less fat on the sides with more lift resulting in a slimmer appearance.
=X  I'm being very brave here sharing these exposed picture with y'all on the web.  I hope this post was helpful for some of you!

2 comments:

  1. Bra shopping is much more complicated than women think. Thanks for the refresher! I'll let you know how it goes with my pregnant boobs and bra shopping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GET THYSELF TO A SOMA! Seriously, I got resized a few years ago (I am a 32DD not a 34B...thanks Victoria's Secret..blergh) and their bras as seriously awesome. They have larger sizes without breaking the bank (usually in the $50 range) and they have sales fairly consistently. I love their bras and they LAST!

    ReplyDelete